Benefits of Debating
Decades of academic research have proven that the benefits that accrue as a result of engaging in debate are numerous. Debate provides experiences that are conducive to life-changing, cognitive, and presentational skills. In addition, through debate debaters acquire unique educational benefits as they learn and polish skills far beyond what can be learned in any other setting.
At the very least, debate helps learners to see the power of deploying rational, reasoned arguments and compelling evidence in action. It enables them to elucidate their standpoint through utilizing rhetorical eloquence. It instills in debaters a great sense of poise and confidence. It teaches them the skills of researching, organizing, and presenting information in a compelling fashion.
In general, the benefits of debate include:
- Gaining broad, multi-faceted knowledge cutting across several disciplines outside the learner’s normal academic subjects.
- Increasing learners’ confidence, poise, and self-esteem.
- Providing an engaging, active, learner-centered activity.
- Improving rigorous higher order and critical thinking skills.
- Enhancing the ability to structure and organize thoughts.
- Enhancing learners’ analytical, research and note-taking kills
- Improving learners’ ability to form balanced, informed arguments and to use reasoning and evidence.
- Developing effective speech composition and delivery.
- Encouraging teamwork.